|
|
Friday, March 05, 2004
.
So sleepy today. I went out for a chat at perkins with Mo, and coincidentally ChrisClaypool, last night... drank far too much coffee and couldn't sleep a wink until 6am... normally this would not be that big a problem.. but I had to take Dragon to work @ 8:30. pffft. Not so much fun.
Neil has written some wonderful things in his blog since that last time I had a chance to read it, most particularly the bits about PETA. I've been aware of the organization since several of my friends got involved with PETA in high school. I, like Neil, have always held contradictory opinions about it, mostly in that I respect thier cause but not thier methods. Preventing, or campainging to prevent, cruelty to animals is in my humble opinon, a noble and virtuous thing to do. On that point they have my respect 100%, however I think that a great deal of the tactics they use to get their point across are well, Stupid. I mean really stupid. Stupid to the point that they make me wonder if veganism somehow alters ones brain chemistry and capacity for human interaction, instantly turning people into raving, martyr complex toting, psychopathic, self important maniacs.
But, to get back to the point (more on my experiences with mentally off vegans at a later date I'm sure), some things that PETA does and says are pretty damn cool... and make it obvious that some of its adherents are bright, sensible articulate people, and then some of thier ideas like this "Your mommy kills animals!" brochure) are just so well, terroristic, and angering that I just want to go out and mow down a medium rare porterhouse with ZEST. A "fuck you, you stupid bints" sortof reaction. You'd think that an organization obviously dedicated to the welfare of the planet and its inhabitants would realize that having a a rational conversation with people about issues is always more a effective strategy to convince them of your point than say, making them want to punch you in the face. Their like Palestinians or Israelis .... or both.
And then I have to wonder about the inherent contradiction of being against "hurting" animals, or altering them for our use, and being pro spaying and nuetering pets. Or pro pets and against zoos... I mean if your against taking animals out of the wild and using them for our own selfish ends, shouldn't you be against domesticating [using for our own selfish ends- I mean face people it you know that your cat would much rather be running around outside killing whatever small creatures it can get its hands on, fucking any cats of the opposite sex it can find, and in general being a cat] cats and dogs, then removing some of thier organs? Its seems like and internally flawed ideology.
Anyway - i'm tired and I still haven't done our taxes, which I promised to start tonight, so i'm going to sign off now. Hope anyone who comes across this is doing well. I'll trust my pitiful sitemeter counts to be sure I haven't made too many people want to punch me in the face after this post.
.